Saturday, June 30, 2007

Welcome Home......NOT!

After spending all week, in Columbia learning about how to better protect vulnerable adults (ie: bored out my...), staying in an old renovated hotel that used to have pay phones in the bathroom??, and looking forward to coming home to hugs and kisses from our monkey and Gator....all I got was rejection from Kyle (okay Gator did greet me with welcome arms...and an unclean bathroom, but at least he didn't pitch a fit like someone else did).

When I got to mama's to pick him up, Kyle had not had a nap
and was ill as a hornet! Make that a whole hornet's nest. I sat in the middle of mama's kitchen floor, waiting and hoping for just a little sign that he was glad to see me..........but nothing except for screams and stomping of the feet.

Now with FXS and autism you have to be very patient.......something I have never been....and allow them to come to you. You can not force them to do anything, because it will most definitely backfire on you.
So, while my heart was breaking and mama was trying to reassure me that it was because he had not had a nap and probably this was his way of expressing his being upset with me for not being there all week, I just sat there telling him I loved and missed him and let him continue his tantrum.


Today, Gator suggested that we go to Spartanburg for dinner and a movie because he had to go by the office and Verizon anyway. We decided on Red Lobster, where Kyle ate every shrimp on his plate
and part of his applesauce (rare moment for him to eat a good meal), and Disney's new movie Ratatouille.

When we got to the theater, we had to hurry Kyle past the concession stands and into the restrooms before he could pitch a fit for popcorn...which is one of his most favorite foods! Of course, Gator later went back and rewarded his good behavior with a bag of the buttery goodness, which he hoarded and ate almost every kernel.


Anyway, the movie is about rat that can cook. Now this sounds very unappetizing, but of course its Disney and they always have a way of seeing the "humorous" side of the story. Kyle loves to cook and tries every chance he gets to "help" us in the kitchen. He loves to watch Paula Deen, too.....so maybe we have another "Emeril" on our hands. He may not be verbal, but he will try anything and learns very fast..........including the bad habits!


P.S. Later on last night, Kyle climbed up in my lap on the couch and hugged my tight and kissed me. Gator said that when he put his head on my shoulder he was grinning from ear to ear....so thanks for a great welcoming home........better late than never.

No comments: