Thursday, May 10, 2007

Everyone has a "Dummy" in their life!

For those of you who know me, knows that "Dummy" is my grandmother. For those of you who don't, let me explain. I was born saying "Grandmother"....not Grandma, Granny, etc. I was Dummy's first grandchild and eventually gave her her first great-grandchild. (Please note that Dummy held Kyle before Gator did - and he knew better than to argue with her!.) Gator also had to worry more about telling Dummy than my parents that he had proposed.

Anyway, she and other Dummy (Granddaddy Butch) always took me shopping, out to eat, or just to ride wherever. I was ALWAYS at their house and they have always been a very BIG part of my life. One day, when I was little, Mama and I went out to their house to get something......don't know what.........but they were not at home and Mama sent me in with her key to their house. I left them a note and in it spelled the word dummy wrong - DUMBY! After that it became a running joke and I was able to get away with calling Grandmother something else - albeit Dummy.

And to this day, I receive very weird and sometimes wrongful looks at people who hear me cal
l her this - like at the hospital Monday when she had to be admitted for low blood pressure and dehydration. Yes, the last couple of weeks have been hectic to say the least. First, I had a bad stomach virus that left me nauseous for 10 days - and wondering if we were pregnant (because of this and a very light period, but we have taken 4 p-tests and 2 said "see leaflet" and the other 2 said "not pregnant"). The pregnancy would have opened a whole 'nother can of worms due to the higher risk of another child having Fragile X Syndrome!

Grandmother ended up getting the stomach virus and ended up in the hospital - and guess who ended up having to put her foot down and insist on following doctor's orders - yep ME! Do you know how hard it was to fuss at Dummy! However, dealing with Kyle's autism and FXS has helped me better cope with situations and I was able to keep her laughing all during her admission, tests, blood work, pokes, prods, x-rays, IV hook up, etc. I even promised her M&Ms if she pee peed and poop pooped in the potty.........you have to understand that she does not like chocolate and she was hooked up to the IV, which my mother was holding, while I was holding her very couture hospital gown! (And she will kill me - if my mother doesn't first - if she finds out about this!!!) But it's funny to Mama and me since we are trying to potty train Kyle!

But it was nice to be able to take care of her for a change - you know we all can't live to be 39 (and yes she is still 39 for those of you who know that running joke - if I want to live) Mama is 29 and I am 19. I even climbed in the bed with her to help warm her up because the sheet, 3 blankets and heat on 75 were not doing it.

She was released from the hospital today and Kyle got to ride in her lap down to the car - and everyone in between the room and the front door heard about how he was her first great-grandchild and I was her first grandchild. So, you all may not have a "bad" name to call your grandmother, but make sure you call her.......because one day I won't be able to call her, but she will ALWAYS BE MY DUMMY! And a very beautiful one at that!!!

1 comment:

theotherlion said...

Hi! I am a fellow blogger and FX mommy. I want to link your site from mine. Let me know if that is NOT okay.

www.theotherlion.blogspot.com