Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hello? Poison Control?.......

The very words I thought that I would never say....I said late Saturday afternoon! Remember me saying that we have to give Kyle Clonodine every day for a nap and every night, along with Melatonin, to go bed? Well, I had his medicine, just the Clonodine, in a daily pill box, in my center console of my car, when we were going to Georgia Easter weekend. I saw the pills earlier Saturday, but didn't put them in my purse 'cause Kyle has a tendency to ramble for the car keys and/or cell phone.....how ironic...right?

Anyway, I was standing in front of the car talking to a couple of friends of ours.....all three of us watching Kyle get in and out of my car trying to crank it and unlock the trunk. I realized that he opened the center console and remembered that Gator had left 3 Snickers bars in there and that they had probably melted by now and I did not want chocolate all over the inside of my car. I took the Snickers out and proceeded to the trash can, with my back to Kyle for a split second, and I guess he went back in to the console. (See Lee stopped me from throwing them away, saying he would make Snickers popsicles, and had my back turned for two seconds.) I got Kyle out of the car for him to tell Lee and Brian bye and Lee then proceeded to the passenger side of the car to make sure Kyle did not escape....it was then that my heart stopped! My child was foaming at the mouth! There was a flash before my eyes and I quickly realized that he could not have rabies....our dog, Hershey, and Lee's dogs, Jazz and Amos, have all had there shots and are fine, plus Kyle has not been bitten by anything.....and then it hit me like a ton of bricks.....Kyle had taken all of the Clonodine in the travel pill box!!!!! And I knew that there had to have been at least four, if not five, pills in that box!
Lee, Brian and I rushed Kyle into the house and proceeded to try to rinse his mouth out over the sink with the spray nozzle. I then called the after-hours number to our pediatrician (Dr. T we will be there on Friday and all is well, except for this little fever of 101+ that showed up today...but he's still bouncing around as normal!)...the answering service transferred me to Poison Control who then called ahead to the nearest hospital.....Wallace Thompson aka: death trap. I was not happy about any of this, but our son's life was at risk, though since he has been taking Clonodine for over a year, thought he might sleep a little longer...seriously - very concerned!

Because we had not had to go to WTH and I didn't know anyone that worked there really, I called my DSS Mama, Lynne Crocker...who I woke up and lives 10 minutes away....to ask who was there that I might know or who would take care of us. Lynne said that she and her husband Joe were on their way...and they made it to WTH right on my heals and I was only one mile away! With Lynne's connections and the fact that I too worked at DSS, we were taken very good care of and luckily the doctor in the ER was from CMC out of Charlotte, NC who now owns WTH.

They first did the initial questioning and tried to get Kyle to drink the "charcoal"...yeah right. And we tried keeping him asleep, then letting him rest, then waking him up, and then came the fun part...the IV! Now, we warned the nurses of how strong our monkey is, but they did not believe it until they attempted to put an IV in his left foot and failed twice all the while 5 adults are holding a 4 year old down who is practically zonked out! The finally got the IV in his right foot, finished hooking him up to all the monitors....heart, breathing, blood pressure, etc.....and did an EKG.

While this was happening, the nurses called Lynne over because they had a new report on an adult, so Lynne ended up working most of the night anyway while Joe sat with Gator, me and the monkey. (He also ran to the house to get Elmo....have you not met our Elmo....the poor Blind, Demented, Gingivitis Elmo.....but he is LOVED!!! and Joe thought he was Hershey's doggie chew toy....boy how wrong he way!) Anyway, Lynne later told me that the doctor asked her if I really worked at DSS and should he think that this was anything other than an accident? Of course, Lynne set him straight very fast and said No and that I was the best mama on the planet....don't know about that, but thanks for having my back! Of course, Dawn, the CPS worker on call, would have just laughed at the nurses when she found out it was me had they called. Gator just kept saying he was glad it wasn't' on his watch, because I would not have let him off the hook and he's probably right!

They finally let us go home about 1:00 am after the doctor jokingly said we may have found a cure for Kyle's insomnia..........WRONG!!!!! Kyle was up at 8:00 am! and was bouncing off the couches, running around the house and jumping on the bed while playing pirates. Now does anybody doubt that I birthed the Energy Bunny! Not even an adult blood pressure medicine overdose, that could have gone severely in the wrong direction and been very bad, could be this hyper 7 hours after leaving the hospital? Maybe I should have taken them instead....at least I would get a little rest for once! What is it like to have a toddler go to bed at a reasonable hour? I guess I may never know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a trip!!! I wondered where elmo was when I saw you guys today....
Love you guys, Dr. Deanna Threatt

The Amazing Trips said...

Oh my gosh - I'm so glad he is OK!!!